16 POINTS OF ACTION TO STOP VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN AND CHILDREN #brothersunite
BROTHERS, LET US STAND UNITED AS MEN WHO ACTIVELY OPPOSE VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN AND CHILDREN.
1. Decide today NOT to look away, NOT to be a bystander and NOT to be silent.
2. If you are emotionally, physically, or sexually abusive to your partner or your children, contact the Stop Gender Based Violence helpline (0800 150 150) for help.
3. If alcohol makes you more likely to commit violence, start drinking less.
4. Provide support to women and children who you suspect are being abused.
5. If you witness violence and abuse, report it to the nearest Police Station as soon as possible.
6. Help survivors to report abuse to the police and help them to overcome the pressure so that they don’t withdraw the case.
7. Try to understand how your own attitudes and actions might perpetuate sexism and violence.
8. Be respectful to women and be a role model to younger boys in your community.
9. Talk to your friends, colleagues and relatives and encourage them to actively take a stand against the abuse of women and children.
10. Learn about the services in your community that provide assistance to women and children who experience violence and abuse.
11. Support women in your community and actively participate in their initiatives to address issues of violence and child abuse.
12. Talk about violence against women and children. Organize community dialogues, speak to people at your workplace, your church, your community policing forum, etc.
13. Be aware of the signs and symptoms of violence and abuse, bruises, scratches, cuts, and burns, as well as emotional signs such as withdrawal, anxiety, fear and sadness.
14. If your relative, neighbour, friend or colleague is abusive to his partner and children, try to talk to him about it, urge him to seek help.
15. If a woman has been raped, help her to access health services quickly and to get tested for HIV.
16. Be a Brother for Life, play your role and share this information with as many of your acquaintances as you can. #brothersunite